Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Becoming an Agricultural Super Power, Part 1: Grow Local, Feed Global


Alright, now I know you're used to my over-the-top rantings and recipes (of which I've been neglecting to post) but hear me out on this one. I have a proposal, if you will, for the United States to undertake...

...what if we became (again) an agricultural super power?

I understand the term agriculture drives one to think "Hmm, how about 'no'?" or "Well that sounds dull, why don't we do that 'war' thing because its badass and we're good at that kind of thing?" To be honest, when I hear about agriculture I think about slavery and not because I'm black (LIES!) but the ingloriousness of toiling in fields and so much more.

But we've all heard the "more guns than butter" debate, the United States is trying to create jobs and all the while we're importing our food that spends untold hours in customs only to spend more untold hours in stores. Then there's the issue of processed food and it goes on and on from there. But what if I told you it didn't have to be that way? That we could eat healthy, create jobs, build infrastructure and do all of this in our own towns? Or on a slightly larger scale, our states?

Senator Jon Tester's proposal to Taco Bell (you know, the fake meat guys?) was a simple one: Start getting their meat from Montana cattle ranchers instead of dealing with the nasty shit they were originally dealing with. Thereby creating jobs, lowering the cost they were spending on their brown spicy couch cushion foam meat and bolstering their greasy reputation (see what I did there?) Of course this makes me wonder exactly how big the beef industry is up in big sky country and what effect it has on local cuisine...Oh how I wonder...

...although according to recent polls, this might not slow them down at all...

But to expand on this idea; why don't we all start doing this? Imagine home grown foods, easy on the pocket and a whole lot more fresh than those "hecho en Mexico" naranjas del diablo (devil's oranges) you bought from the guy on the corner...?

...it only "looks" promising...

In Part 2, I'll explain how supporting your local food producers (not just the restaurants) can help you in the long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment